Monday, August 1, 2016

SUMMERTIME, AND THE LIVING WAS (NOT) EASY by Paul Schneider


Carole, your idyllic description of Richmond Lake summers prompted me to remember some of my summer memories, albeit a bit different

Fond recollections of high school summers from others bring back other kinds of memories for me, as I worked migrant labor on custom combining crews.  We hauled combines and trucks to Oklahoma, and then worked our way back to the Aberdeen area, following the ripening of wheat and other grains.

 On our first crew, the boss, Emmett Peterson was a rancher in the Richmond Lake area, who also owned the Silver Dollar Bar in Mobridge.  The Silver Dollar was a rough and tumble western bar where Emmett recruited alcoholics to work his crews.  One other kid, a year older, from Frederick, and I were quickly schooled in the way of transient lifestyles.  

We were drinking in Kansas bars at 16 years old.  I learned how to hide a bottle of Muscatel and sneak a swig during the work day.  Foul language like I had never heard before was profuse…and I use it to this day!  I “learned” what women were all about, and you can imagine that modern feminists would have a lynching party for those winos and bums that espoused those opinions, and mentored me.  Fortunately, my values from my Catholic family would not accept that, and I have chosen a very different philosophy of close relationships.

Hygiene did not exist.  We had no running water or toilets.  We went wherever we could find a spot in a field, ditch, etc.  Bathing was a luxury, where we would use puddles, stock tanks, ponds, creeks, or sneak over the fence into municipal pools after they closed at night.  And, we were filthy!!  Often we were so covered with dirt and dust that you could not even tell what race we were!  Bed was sleeping on the floor of a trailer with grungy blankets, hoping not to be stepped on by a drunk making his way outside.  The boss just flopped down in a filthy easy chair, fully clothed, instantly fell asleep, and got up and started up all over again the next morning.  We worked seven days a week.  After a while, you either didn’t notice the smell, or the microbiota equalized the bodily environment.  I wonder why the local girls all stuck up their noses at us??

Meals were restaurants at night, and whatever Emmett brought out to us in the fields.  I was often so exhausted at night that I could not even eat, preferring to crash asleep.  The best roast beef sandwich I have ever tasted sat under the seat of my grain truck for two days in scorching heat!  It’s a wonder we were not sick all the time.

Washeteria came into my lexicon then, the Texas name for laundromats.  A big Texan, Jesse James Burton, took me under his wing that summer, but disappeared one day when he hooked up with a barfly in Nebraska.  He “taught” me lots about women (you don’t want to know!), and that Justin boots were the best.  Funny thing is that these guys were essentially drunken tramps, the low-life’s of our world, and I loved them!  What a fascinating world they introduced me to.  Yet, I also recognized that their world was not what I wanted for my future.  To this day I have a soft spot for working stiffs and addicts, even though they think very differently than I do.

Then, tragedy struck.  I was hauling a load of wheat into a small town elevator, and the line to unload was long.  I finally got the load dumped, and was heading out of town when I noticed Emmett heading into town in a hurry looking for me as the combines could not unload without trucks.  I thought about following him and telling him I was headed back out to the field, but not wanting the ass chewing he would give me, I drove directly back to the field.  Emmett had a heart attack.  Two days later, against medical advice, he left the hospital, and went home back to the ranch.  We pulled the whole crew back, and a few days later, Emmett died.  Emmett was a hard ass, gruff, and pushed hard all the time.  But he had a kindly spot for me; my memories of him are fond.

The rest of the summer, we bucked hay and worked horses until the grain was ripe.  Wayne Stone got mule-kicked in the gut by a rank horse, and the black ooze emanating from the hole in his belly was alarming.  Far as I knew, he lived, but I never saw him again.  I learned how to ride a hay skid, and make mini-stacks in the field to pick up later.  Amazingly dirty, but fun.  We finished the harvest year in August, then it was time to head home to Aberdeen, and my Senior year.

The following year, I went with a different crew, with only a little better conditions.  No drunks, just preachy farmers lacking senses of humor.  I think I preferred the drunks.

As I look back, I learned some profound lessons.  People are fascinating, all of them.  Each one has his/her own story.  Everyone has loves, hates, prejudices, flaws, and loveable parts.  People have different work ethics.  Life can be hard, then you die, at times with little or no warning.  No one is better than someone else, but we are all different and have value.

I learned about hardship, hard and dirty work with minimal reward.  I learned that I could subsist on next to nothing, with few creature comforts.  I learned that misery is a state of mind.  Pain is mandatory, but suffering is optional.  Unfortunately, I also learned to resent people who had a lot, who did not have to live in a filthy work world that is now illegal, kids who got the cushy, clean jobs.  At the same time, I also learned over those next few years of grimy and awful work experiences and Army life that going to college and having a career seemed like a pretty good option.

So, those are a little different summers than many folks like to remember.  But I wouldn’t trade them, and their lessons of life, for any other summers.

No comments: