Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Aberdeen Civic Arena Brings Back Special Memories by Jo Davis

Jo with Meadowlark Lemon
As I read the blog about the Aberdeen Civic Arena, fuzzy memories in my mind brought back images of events that I attended, including the Harlem Globetrotters, the Shrine Circus, and musical concerts.    I'm sure my dad thought that the Globetrotters would spark an interest in sports for me.  Jesus Christ Superstar was the first non-Beatle album I literally wore down the grooves. 

It also brought back the stage events that provided a shape for my life direction.  Before attending Central, I was a Girl Scout in Mrs. Ray's Troop for a limited period.  Aberdeen was privileged to host the National Girl Scout Jamboree.  I think we had a huge camp out as an ice-breaker and it seemed like there were 5,000 teenage girls with their leaders, badges, sashes and scout related items to gush over.  The theme that year had to do with choices in life, if I remember right.  Careers, maybe.  Recognition of jobs?  Anyway, each troop had designated professions to work with.
 I remember wearing a maternity smock and holding a cardboard painting palette to represent ARTISTS of the world. Pretty sure Picasso was turning in the grave.
Girl Scout Troop Camping
Mrs Ray thought my height could also be best used to portray a tall president. Thus, onto the stage went the gangliest Abraham Lincoln with a tall stovepipe hat, courtesy of moms craftiness, and a charcoal beard, thanks to my dads burnt cork make-up. The compliment I got was a handshake and a nod saying "Mr President" afterwards from my dad who looked like he had gotten something in his eye. 
 
President Jo Davis
If I had stage fright, I didn't know. I was focusing on just walking. None of my career visions materialized. Not a June Taylor dancer, nor an airline stewardess, a veterinarian, and window dresser. It was the age of dreaming big.  The next and last time in the Civic Auditorium was the life altering graduation. Again, just focusing on walking across, not falling down, gripping that diploma like it was a life support and not forgetting to breathe.


The hugeness of that space was overwhelming at age 17, going on 25. At the 45th reunion visit, it still echoed as large but not as all encompassing. Now if we were to walk across that stage carrying all of our achievements with us, I know mine would have to include professions of dancer (not June Taylor quality) , writer, silk finisher, greenhouse overseer, medical caregiver, motivational speaker (cracking the whip), listener and information source. And the most rewarding, non-monetary job of life mate, mom and gramma.

Thanks guys for another flashback.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jo for sharing your memories, it was a reminder of my experiences, recalling so many wonderful times. I remember going to the Shrine Circus with a group of Sacred Heart classmates chaperoned by Alice Laird's mother in the 4th or 5th grade. Great MEMORIES! By Bob Couser

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jo! Your story was very interesting. I do remember the Globtrotters game, as well. My grandfather, Carson Rowh, was visiting us from Kansas. He suggested that he take me to that game. I was so happy and it remains one of my greatest memories.

Anonymous said...

Thank you again, Jo, for writing such an interesting story to share. You have triggered so many memories. Would have liked to see you as Abe. And know your Dad was very proud. How long were you in Girl Scouts? And did you go to the Girl Scout's Camp at Richmond Lake?
Fun memories of the Shrine Circus at the arena. It was such a big deal every year. And the Globetrotters. Thank you for the memories.
Carole