Monday, September 12, 2016

My Story: From the Mississippi Gulf to Aberdeen, South Dakota by Ferrell Greene



As my wife Linda and I approached Aberdeen from the west, arriving Friday afternoon just prior to our 50th reunion, I faced a flood of emotions that I didn’t really expect. Unlike most of you, I only lived in Aberdeen a couple of years, so I don’t have
Ferrell and Linda Greene
the history that most you have. Not only that, I was a foreigner! 
To Y’all, I was just a tall skinny guy from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, with a somewhat different accent. My father was a minister and had been assigned to a small church there in Aberdeen to build a new church. We moved there a week after school had started in our junior year so I wasn’t able to get involved in much of anything, like the chorus and so on. Probably the main reason that I got to know many of the kids there was because of that “funny” accent. I thought my name was “say something for me”. I soon learned that the girls, in particular, thought that the accent was cute, but the infatuation ended there, much to my chagrin. However, I was able to make several new friends over the weeks and began to make what is now, priceless memories at a neat little town. 

Now that the history lesson is over, I’ll try to stick to the memories. As we drove down the beautiful old streets of Aberdeen, I was able to go to my family's first little house. It seemed just like yesterday, as we all now know that the years have flown by. As we rode around town, so many things were still untouched appearance wise, but some were now empty shells of that which was vibrant back in our day. 
Main Street Aberdeen 1960's
 
Main street is no longer a busy thoroughfare lined with stores that served people within a hundred-mile radius of Aberdeen, but what memories suddenly swept over me as I remembered that street. The biggest thing to do on a Friday or Saturday night was to get a bunch of our friends and “Drag Main Street" from one hamburger stand to the other.
Main St & 8th Ave NE
Rain, snow, sleet, ice and so on, none of that stopped us. It was car loads of guys and gals dragging main and just being teenagers in general. Now I think to myself, why in the world you want to drive up and down main street with a car of guys week after week? It dawned on me, fifty years later, that none of you girls wanted to go out with any of us.


Now to the reunion itself. Like all of you, I had seen the list of those who were attending.
Eaglean Follies: Rochelle, Rick, Ferrell
I looked forward with anticipation visiting those on the list while also hoping that maybe some of my friends would maybe still make it. As I’m sure is the case with most of Y’all, we knew a lot of classmates but some in particular you had a special relationship with. The two that really made my trip worthwhile were were Rick and Rochelle Albrecht. 
Rochelle was also a preacher's kid and had not grown up in Aberdeen. The three of us performing at the Eaglean Follies remains an important memory for me. Although we had not seen each other in over fifty years, it was and is a special bond.

As we milled around and talked to each other, it’s amazing how many wonderful memories came flooding over me. I can say without equivocation, looking back, that those two years that I attended Central were the most fun years of my life. Particularly the summer between our junior and senior year and the senior year itself. Being in need of bit of finances to put gas in daddy’s car to drag main, I needed a job. My first job was cranking out cake donuts and glazed donuts at Burckhard's North Side Bakery at 117 North Main Street.
  
Somehow or another I wound up out in western North Dakota for the last month before school started, driving a tractor, a swathing machine and combine! Knowing absolutely nothing about any of those, I got a crash course in operating each. Never been on a tractor since!

A Cappella: All-State Chorus 1965-66
Seeing so many of our classmates at the reunion brought back to me such wonderful memories of our senior year. I figured the best way to get to know people was to get involved in as many activities as I could and boy did I. The A Cappella Choir is where most of my memories stemmed from. Being in that lead to the all-state chorus with many of you.
"Wonderful Town" with Evenson Sisters
It also led to participating in the musical Wonderful Town and the Eaglean Follies with Rick and Rochelle. Since I wasn’t from Aberdeen, these activities and getting to know so many of you would have to be some of my most precious memories.

On the Saturday morning of our reunion, some of us took the tour of old Central, the choir room, the theater and the arena with all those steps we used to have to run! Again, what a flood of emotions because nothing has changed in those spaces in the 50 years since we left. For a few fleeting minutes, it was like we were still there, singing, performing and trying to survive Physical Ed class! To thank of the fun that we had in Mr. Smith’s history class.
Dave Smith: American History
I never forgot what he told us about our country. “A pure democracy within itself will destroy itself”. A foreshadow of what has now begun to happen. As some have written already, can you imagine Mr. Ellis in this day and time! Holy Cow, that would be worth the price of admission. Saturday evening just capped off a weekend, like our lives, that flew by. Walking around sharing many of our special experiences brought back to me such wonderful innocent times. I don’t know about you, but I didn’t want to let go as it was a feeble attempt to turn back time. To those of you whom I was blessed to share time with those two years, I would use the song that Bob Hope used to sing as his theme song. “Thanks for the memories”. 



Central High School 1966
Sunday morning, Linda and I had to get up and leave early for the long drive back to New Orleans, but on the way out, we drove by Central one more time. Took a couple of pictures and headed south. It was bitter sweet for me as I found myself day dreaming about what it would have been like to go back to do it all over again. We all left Central 50 years ago with a spring in our step and joy in our hearts that it was over and everything lay ahead of us. With a heavy heart, I realized that the real joy was that special time that we shared together as the class of “66.


To all you guys and gals who have worked so diligently to host the reunion and now the blogs that will keep us connected, a very special thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a heart-felt story Ferrell, thanks for sharing. The Class of '66 is enriched by your family's relocation to our little Midwestern city, Aberdeen. Your accent is contagious. If I speak with you for more than 10-15 minutes, I have noticed that I start sounding "Southern". Y'all git it!

From Bob Couser

Anonymous said...

Y'all wrote a great a story! Though I wasn't able to make it to the reunion, I sure have enjoyed all the stories and blogs on this site!
Marilyn (Roesch) Glaser

Anonymous said...

Ferrell, this is a wonderful story. I'm so glad that your time with us has left you with such good memories. You were a great addition to our time at Central. Happy trails. Alice Laird Rapport