Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Dawn Burckhard Fondly Remembers Growing Up In Aberdeen.....................by The Three Amigos



The Class of ’66 has been blessed with many colleagues who have intelligence, grace, thoughtfulness, humility, and kindness. This is a narrative of one of our great classmates, Dawn Burckhard.

Dawn has fond memories of growing up in Aberdeen, beginning in her elementary school years and extending right through high school. Dawn was more than a cheer leader for our athletic teams, she was an ambassador full of energy and enthusiasm promoting pride in our school spirit and a model of student respectability. 

As the oldest daughter of Robert and Carroll Burckhard, owners of Burckhard’s Northside Bakery, Dawn had to create a high standard of behavior for her younger siblings. As told by Dawn, “I had great friends at Howard Hedger and it was very comforting to me that many of them would also be going to Monroe. I soon discovered at Monroe that my new classmates were wonderful kids as well.” We always walked to school no matter how frigid the weather. As a young aspiring piano player, she remembered nearly freezing her fingertips walking to school in below zero temperature on one particular day. Mrs. Bea Theilan, who directed the chorus, had to physically warm her hands so Dawn could accompany the chorus, tickling the ivories with her warm fingers.  Ever since the 5th grade I was a piano accompanist in my music classes.  Music was always a part of my early life.
Monroe Cheer Leader
 


I remember being chosen for the cheer leading squad at Monroe which I loved.
Lorraine Keeler
I recall having school dances and Mrs. Lorraine Keeler telling us how to act and what to do if you were asked to dance. We would go to the dances and the boys would be on one side of the gym and the girls on the other side, that certainly wasn't the arrangement I imagined or even wanted.
Junior Snow Queen: 9th Grade
The most precious and special time at Monroe was when I was chosen Junior Snow Queen in the 9th grade. The students voted for the candidates. We went through an interview process and then I was crowned on stage at the Civic Arena. I felt so humbled and undeserving, but very blessed. As reported in the Aberdeen American News, "At the age of 14 with tears of joy, Dawn ascended the throne to thunderous applause at the Civic Theater where she was surrounded by her proud family and crowned by the current Miss South Dakota."  The Snow Queen Festival began in 1947 when the St. Paul Winter Carnival Association contacted Aberdeen officials, now this is South Dakota’s largest winter festival.

Then onto Aberdeen Central High School, a time that was most nostalgic for Dawn. “I was on the cheer leading squad for Football and Basketball with some wonderful girls.
CHS Cheer Leader Group 1965-66
We developed some very special relationships during that time." Music was always my passion and I was in both Acapella and an accompanist.  In my Senior year I was chosen for Homecoming Royalty as a Queen Nominee.
Homecoming Queen Nominee
That truly was an honor.”

My husband Randy and I left Aberdeen in 1990 to buy a Chevrolet Dealership in Corvallis, Oregon. One thing we have always said, "There is nothing like the Midwest people." They are friendly, hard-working, loyal, trusting, and very special to us. We always recognized a Midwesterner on the west coast when overhearing, "Yah, You Betcha."
Dawn & Randy


I really looked forward to our 50th Class Reunion. I only wished I could have spent more time with each one of my classmates. I must say we have a very special class because you all are very special people. 






In life, many things define you.  For me it has been,

The People I have met and come to know
A part of my life that helped me grow
My faith, a strength I have needed so
Aberdeen, always in my heart to overflow

God Bless you all with much love, Dawn Burckhard Jones.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your memories thoughout the years, Dawn. We all remember you for your smile, your interest in others, your friendship. Since we were "Southsiders", we did not walk to the bakery, however I do fondly recall my family driving there and loading up with so many goodies. And we all loved your parents and family. (And thank you for playing the organ at my wedding, heh)
Treasure your friendship always. Carole

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Dawn, it brought back many fond memories of a very kind, sweet and beautiful young lady. It also brought back memories of the bakery! I worked part time at night in the bakery and yes the pastries and bread were great, particularly hot out of the oven! Ferrell Greene

Rory King said...


Wonderful, Dawn. My Mother baked, so I don't have a lot of memories of the Bakery, but, early in my career, I got over to the sheriff's office on a regular basis, and your Mom's was always a warm, welcoming smile. My folks were very good friends of the Trishes and the Kervins, and I have vivid memories of the accident, even though very young. I remember how your family too the Kervin kids in to your home. What a beautiful thing to do. I know it wasn't always easy. Our daughter, Katie, has four adopted children, and it is a sacrifice. Like mother/father, like daughter! Give my best to Randy. God bless. Rory King

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn..so fun to see the pictures and read about your memories. My family still talks about the Burckhards. I was a good friend of Bobbi's and have often wondered how she is and where she is. Thanks for sharing this. Was fun! Judy Larson Mittleider