Friday, October 21, 2016

My Story: The Big "C" Word....................by Joy Schanil Schwan

Joy Schwan 1966
 
Joy Schanil Schwan 2016
Since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I thought it would be a good time to tell my story.



My story started 69 years ago this coming January when I was born as a “Grandchild.”  That’s the way I always felt as my mother was 45 years old at my birth.  All my friends had parents in their 20's or so.  From what I understand that is why I was named Joy, as it was my mother's greatest "JOY" to have her one and only child at 45 years of age.  However, by the time I was 10 years of age, my mom had passed away due to breast cancer.


Fast forward 68 years – this past spring I went in for my yearly mammogram-3D, as that is what they do these days. This time there was an abnormality and an ultrasound was ordered. After studying the ultrasound, I was given the option of either waiting 6 months to see if anything had changed, or do a biopsy. I elected to have the biopsy – who wants to wait 6 months if there is something wrong. After the biopsy, the very next day I was informed that there were cancer cells present in the biopsy, of course my first thought was of my mom.

I was scheduled for surgery the Wednesday after our 50th Class Reunion. The results were great – thank goodness for all this modern technology. My tumor was 8mm in size and the limp node was clear as well as all the area around the tumor. The next step was 30 days of radiation. A very small price to pay for a clean bill of health.

Joy: Cancer Survivor
When I think back to my mom, she never saw me grow up, graduate from high school, get married, or meet my two children who would have been her grandchildren. I have been very blessed.  I have been able to share everything in my children’s lives that my mom never had a chance to do. I have 5 grandchildren, 7 step grandchildren – 2 great granddaughters and 4 step great granddaughters.  I should also mention that I have been married to the same great man for 47 years. Life is good!

I know several classmates and many friends who have also gone through breast cancer and are also SURVIVORS – it is a wonderful feeling. I cannot stress enough how important it is to get a yearly mammogram – it can be a LIFE SAVER.  As my husband says, I get to be around for many more years to irritate him – but he wouldn’t have it any other way!


This is MY STORY..........Joy Schanil Schwan
 

Breast Cancer Awareness


6 comments:

Deb Haak said...

So happy you found it early. I am sure you will be here to enjoy your family for a long, long time!

Aberdeen CHS Class of 1966 Reunion said...

Joy, Thanks for sharing your inspiring message. Life is fragile and finite. Your message is a reminder to appreciate life and give thanks for our families and friends. Bob Couser

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for sharing your story, not only about your own breast cancer treatment, but also about the fact that you lost your Mom so young. I am sure that many of our classmates might not have been aware And as you said, you have a wonderful and full life with family. Happy for you. Carole Tonigan

Unknown said...

Your story brought a tear to your son's eye. I, Heather, Isabel, Dakota, and Jaxon love you very much, and would be heartbroken if we didn't have you in our lives.

Anonymous said...

Yes my wife,joy, beat breast cancer. After being married to my beautiful wife for 47 years I wouldn't know what to do without her. Now she can look forward to more of my dumb jokes for years to come and she can irritate me for many more years as the doc. said. We will have many more years to spend with our special two children and watch our grandkids grow up. Joy is the love of my life and I wouldn't know what to do without her. God put us together to grow old together. I love you my dearest one. Bill, your husband.

Norma Patterson said...

Joy, So happy that your cancer was caught early! I know you know the importance of encouraging all those beautiful women in your life with the history of breast cancer in the mom and grandmothers, to have early mammograms and self examinations to detect any problems they might have inherited. Bless you in your continued recovery. ( That Samantha and her little daughter are so lucky to have you still in their lives.)