Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Shameful Memories, a retrospective by L. Paul Schneider


Many people have avoided our class reunions. I often wonder why, but also in my heart know why for some. School days were not pleasant for some kids. As a Clinical Psychologist, I have heard many of the stories of folks whose lives as kids were hell. Today, we hear
L. Paul Schneider
these stories on the internet and mainstream media every day. But back in our school days, those things were not talked about.

How many of our classmates were beaten regularly by a parent? How many were sexually abused by family or friends? How many were told how worthless, ugly, stupid they were? How many were neglected?

My shame comes in when I recall kids that were bullied, called names, taunted. I tried not to participate; but I did not intervene, either. Those kids have never shown up for a reunion. And as I have learned, often the bullies were themselves abused at home. Many of those kids have not shown up, either. Yeah, I can rationalize that we were “just kids”, that I was a scrawny runt, that it was “none of my business”, and that I, too, had been bullied. But that regret, guilt, and shame for that lack of courage in not standing up for those oppressed kids does haunt me.

My dad and mom had a strong value for our family of “Do the right thing.” I did let them down at times. But I also have devoted my adult life to trying to do the right thing, standing up for the oppressed, the down-trodden, the poor, the mentally ill. In many ways, I am trying to make up for my cowardice as a kid. ( Hopefully, that will reduce my sentence in Purgatory!)

If any of you who were targets of the bullying in school read this, my sincerest regrets and apologies. I do remember you, and pray for you. If you can find it in your hearts to forgive those of us who bullied or were complicit in it, I would be most grateful.

And, I would encourage you to engage in our reunions and dialogues, such as this medium. I did talk to one of my bullies at one of our reunions, not in anger, but simply brought it up. That person sincerely apologized, heartfelt. That was very healing to me, and holds a special place in my memory today. Having put closure to that dark period, I can smile now when I think of him.

As a final note on this gloomy subject, I encourage all of you to stand up for those who don’t seem to matter. The invisible ones. The persecuted ones. The helpless ones. Those without a voice, or little voice. The marginalized ones. As Edmund Burke said, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much, Paul. Your insight and memories are so thought provoking. Fortunately now there is more attention to this problem and I am afraid that I was not tuned into it during high school days. The wonderful thing about our reunions is that I do believe that those attending do want to learn more about each other in this phase of their lives as well as get to know classmates that they did not know that well during those years. Hopefully, that is what we are doing with our newsletters, blogs, etc. Thank you, again.

Michael M said...

I enjoyed reading your comments Paul. I went to a different reunion this year. It was the 50th high school reunion of the kids i went to grade school with in Gallup New Mexico - grades 4-half of 7. It was the school I attended the longest (3.5 years)- Central was next with 3 years. I used to say a good day at school was a day I wasn't beat up. that may have been a bit of an exaggeration but nonetheless something I experienced at the Catholic school. I decided to go back just to do as you did and meet some of the old friends as well as bullies. One man was a 4th grader pulled a switch blade on me in 4th grade on the playground and scared the bejeebers out of me when he cut of my top collar button and later fought me coaxed on by his older brother who said "beat him up or I will beat you up!" They both came to the reunion and were delightful. We talked about the experience and hugged and established new friendships. My experience at the reunion was not without its trauma - I got hit by a city police car as i was walking in a legal crosswalk and on a green "walk" sign. I flew landing 15 feet in front of the vehicle and am still getting physical therapy a month and a half later. This happened just before the reunion so after 8 hours in the ER I came to the reunion events and even played in a band with crutches and a leg brace. I teased the crowd that if they didn't remember me from grade school they might now. Let's all have a great big pity party - haha.

Bullying is not a laughing matter and my own experiences helped me work with young people as a teacher and principal over the years - both with victims and the bullies as well.

I didn't skip the 50th for any other reason than distance, expense and scheduling conflicts. Maybe next time. I think it is great that people got together and that the dialogue is continuing. Hats off to the planners and people who attended.

Anonymous said...

Paul

After reading this Blog post it reminds me how great it is to have a special friend like you. Rich D'Amico

feminist_mom said...

Very important info to reflect on - bullies are real as children or adults - they can lead to suicide - I am a survivor from childhood sexual abuse by family -- took me a long time to come out on this - thanks Paul - Maureen Kruckenberg Vetter